Saturday, July 5, 2008

Work Woe

Today saw me getting the most detailed and relentless dressing down at work. Now I'm the first to admit my slightly erratic work ethic leads to random probability of any one task getting finished but even I was surprised by the ferocity of the bosses comments. By all accounts my work is badly organised, generally full of mistakes and generally not up to the high standard that my admittedly hefty wage demands. Page after page of incorrect figures were produced and my project management was deemed too slow. It was painful to sit there and be faced with it all. Even though I can see there are obvious problems mainly caused by my dyslexia and the odd bump of K at the office my boss W is a particularly anal little man (if one were being rude you could go so far as to suggest he has ADD.) who seems hell bent on finding fault in the slightest error. Given the full throttled nature of the verbal savaging I received I think the situation was handled fairly well on my part. Calmly and carefully I assured him in the face of each of the proffered examples of my incompetence that it was within the remit and capability of us all to better ourselves and reinforce our weaknesses, what a load of old arse but if you cant bullshit the boss who can you?

My two day week at work was preceded by four full days of really nasty food poisoning, slightly aggravated by that fifty grams of K I mentioned in my last post. Fuck me it was  a trip I really thought I was done for, its been a little while since I was that sick bar from the chemotherapy. 

D came over on Wednesday and given my prone and wracked state decided to turn my request to go out and get me some rice (the only thing I could think of eating) into a lovely Spanish Paella replete with prawns and mussels. Really. Words failed me and it was the best I could do to convey my utter disgust at the mere thought of eating such lively foodstuffs, and bless him he was so incensed with the idea of wasting it he decided to go ahead and cook it anyway. The wretched smell of fish and rich juice filled the flat and left me wanting to decorate my bedroom wall with yet more bile and snot. Bless him though lovely gesture but so off the mark its untrue. With D sometimes you have to accept he is a bear of very little brains and just let it go.

So its down to me to have a good long this weekend about work. Whilst I do not want to waste any ones time (too much) I really cant afford to be unemployed again especially after having had so long off unpaid with the cancer. Maybe a medium weight designers job in an interior design practice would save me from so much precise figure work but still any job has to have a good amount of that no? I'm sure by Monday I will have decided everything is fixable in my usual over optimistic way but I really have to pull my finger out this time or its curtains (sic) for me.

No comments: